Thursday, June 26, 2008

50 Goodbye




Day 50



March 10

Dear Dad,

Yesterday was my last day here in Lima. After I cooked Sunday lunch for Randy, David and Marie, we worked together on a plan to prepare for my trip back to Chicago. The ice storm let up just enough for sunshine to break through on our efforts.

Randy readied your car, David cleaned out his van, and Nancy and Floyd drove in from Lyons to load the last twenty boxes. We drove the van-load up to Steven’s basement. For dinner we enjoyed one more meal together at your favorite Cracker Barrel. Your family and community continues to take care of me!

I gave the new Thompson Reference Bible I found in your closet to Floyd after dinner. It turns out he used to have one exactly like it. He said it was the best Bible he ever had. He loved it. However, he left it at his sister’s awhile back and something happened to it. He was thrilled to receive this gift from you.

This morning is clear and bright, good for a road trip. In a few minutes I’ll be turning the key in your Grand Marquis, pulling out of your driveway and heading home for good. But before I go, I have some important things to tell you.

I know you are in a “Far, far better place than you can ever imagine,” as you once told the nurse in dialysis. But just in case you are wondering, I want you to know that I figured out the answer to one of your questions.

Remember, sitting on the side of your bed last summer you said, “Cher, I’m ready to meet the Lord. I don’t want to question him, and I understand he has a purpose for my staying here. But I ask myself, what is that purpose? Why am I lingering?”

You lingered because we all still had much to learn, much to receive, and much to give.

So, thank you for all those nights you paced and prayed. Thank you for loving us, for loving God, for embracing every moment of your life, for your joy, and your passion.

You’ll be happy to know Steven and I are getting along well, and both of us, along with Harold and Leslie really enjoy spending time together. And, by the way, you were certainly correct to leave all the financial duties and paper work to Steve--he’s doing a great job. You’ll be glad to hear one of the first things he did was pay off your dental bill to Dr. Muscarella! No worries, Steve’s handling everything just the way you would have wanted.

I ran into Nurse Judy the other day at Topp’s across from Tom Wahl’s. It was strange seeing her out of context. She’s just as soft spoken and sweet in the grocery store as she was in your living room!

Dad, I’ll never forget the day last summer when we worked in your garden together from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The weather was perfect, I packed us a lunch, and we set about the business of pruning, tying up vines, weeding, harvesting, raking, watering, laughing and talking. We shared a creative passion for the garden work which made the hours fly by and had us comment again and again for months after, what a great day it had been.

I can imagine the smile on your face when I tell you I’m getting to know my cousins! Norma calls often--I think in the future we will plan to visit Aunt Anne and Uncle Bob in St. Louis together. Cousin Walt left a really nice message on my cell phone last night.

Cousin Gloria told me an interesting memory of hers from when we were little girls. She said,

I remember being with you one time at the church your dad pastored in East Bloomfield. You and I were sitting in the service and I observed how you copied every move your dad made. The placement of your hand against your face...you know, in that thinking, pondering pose that your dad would do. When I commented to you about it, you said "I'm just like my dad." You were always very tied to your dad's heart. It's obvious…you loved him dearly!


As my role model, you showed me how to be receptive to God’s will, act on my convictions, love my neighbors, strive to be undaunted, find pleasure in the joy of living, and grow old with grace.

I do love you dearly. Thank you Dad.

I have to go now, it’s time to leave.

Marie packed egg salad sandwiches and brownies, just as I like, for the long drive home.

I’ll have all the clips for my hair rollers in one place now! But part of my heart will always be here with you.

With love and hope...

Your daughter,


Cheryl


P.S. I packed your last jar of canned cherries very carefully. One day when Harold and I have the country home I've always dreamed about, I'll open all the boxes I packed from your place. When I get to the cherries, we'll pour a couple bowls, take them out to the garden, and looking back at the greenhouse full of flowers in your vases, we'll raise our bowls to you. The anticipation is as sweet as I know the taste will be!



No comments: